Scientific computing and parallel computing C++23/C++26

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 14 01:54:40 UTC 2022

On Friday, 14 January 2022 at 01:37:29 UTC, Bruce Carneal wrote:
> WRT OpenCL I don't have much to say.  From what I gather people
> consider OpenCL to be even less hospitable than CUDA,
> preferring OpenCL mostly (only?) for its non-proprietary
> status.  I'd be interested to hear from OpenCL gurus on this
> topic.

Not that I'm an OpenCL guru by any stretch of the imagination,
but yes, OpenCL as a base API is much less nice than even the
CUDA driver APIs, but the foundation is solid and you can
abstract and prettify it with D to a level of usability that is
at least on par with (and imo exceeds) CUDA's runtime API (the
one with the <<<>>>'s) with D kernels.

That is to say the selling point for dcompute vs. OpenCL is, you
get an API that is just as easy as CUDA (w.r.t type safety and
tedium) and you get to write your kernels in D, whereas dcompute
vs. CUDA is _just_, you get to write your kernels in D (and the
API is not any worse).