Scientific computing and parallel computing C++23/C++26

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 19:48:56 UTC 2022

On Friday, 14 January 2022 at 17:38:36 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 14 January 2022 at 16:57:21 UTC, Bruce Carneal wrote:
>> I'm hopeful that SoCs, with their relatively friendlier
>> accelerator configurations, will be the economic enabler for
>> widespread uptake of dcompute.
>
> It is difficult to predict the future, but it is at least
> possible that the mainstream home-computing market will be
> dominated by smaller focused machines with SoCs. If we ignore
> Apple, then maybe the market will split into something like
> Chrome-books for non-geek users, something like Steam
> Deck/Machine for gamers and some other SoC with builtin FPGA or
> some other tinkering-friendly configuration for Linux
> enthusiasts. It seems reasonable that only storage will be on
> discrete chips in the long term. Drops in price levels tend to
> favour volume markets, so it is reasonable to expect SoCs to
> win out.

Yes, I think the rollout of SoCs that you describe could very
well occur.  I hadn't even considered those! I was thinking of
the accelerators in phone SoCs.

Googling just now I saw an estimate of the number of "smart
phones" world wide of over 6 billion.  That seems a little high
to me but the number of accelerator equipped phone SoCs is
certainly in the billions with the number trending to saturation
in line with the world's population.

Anybody can hook into an accelerator library, and that will be
fine for many apps, but with dcompute you'll have the ability to
quickly go beyond the canned solutions when those are deficient.

Lots of ways to win with dcompute.