Integrated code formatter

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 00:32:05 UTC 2022

On Monday, 17 January 2022 at 23:59:05 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> Given the current scant manpower, it's a bit unrealistic to
> expect a timely response, even though nobody will argue that it
> would be a good thing. ...

I think that argument ('scant manpower') is an
over-simplification, and provides a distorted representation of
the 'actual' problem.

It's really a chicken and egg problem.

More manpower will come from more people using D in larger code
bases.

But code quality in larger code bases needs to *already* be high.

So the issue of 'bug management' is far more critical to D
expanding its user-base, than constantly adding new features...
this needed to planned for and managed at the beginning, with the
highest priority given to that, rather than adding new features.

(back to the sibject of this thread though) .. Code review is an
important component of bug management too, and without a good,
reliable code-formatter, that becomes a more time-consuming
activity than it needs to be.

C++/Go/Rust/Java/C#.... have all, already, learnt this lesson.