Integrated code formatter

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 08:42:17 UTC 2022

On Monday, 17 January 2022 at 23:42:50 UTC, forkit wrote:

> But to have bugs sit their for 7 years, not discussed, not
> addressed in any way.. then.. from where does one get the
> motivation to file a new bug?

Razvan Nitu was hired as a PR/Issue manager last year precisely
to bring some method to our bug fixing madness. Prior to that,
bugs were fixed by anyone who took an interest in them. If no one
did, they didn't get fixed.

In the year+ since he took on the role, Razvan has assembled
strike teams for the major repositories. Together, they have
trimmed the PR queues and begun to make a dent on the Bugzilla
database.

There are still old issues there, yes, and many of them will
still remain there for quite a while longer. It takes time to go
through such a big backlog. But new issues have a better chance
of getting fixed sooner now.  The second PR/Issue manager
position is being filled soon, which will bring another pair of
paid eyes and hands to bear on Bugzilla.

That said, some issues will still linger because there isn't an
obvious way to fix them, or they're judged a lower priority, or
for whatever reason. They may be forgotten. Posting about a
specific issue here in the forums is one way to do bring
attention to it. Another is to tweet about it with the #dlang
hashtag. Anytime I see something like that, I email Razvan about
it to see if he can do something about it or find someone who
can. Usually, they get closed in a few days.

My point: issues that aren't reported aren't fixed, and those
that are reported have a better chance of getting fixed sooner
these days than they used to.

I've never believed that "it might stay there for 7 years" is a
valid reason to avoid reporting a bug, but it's even less so now.

Please report your issues. And if they aren't fixed in a
reasonable amount of time, shout about them to bring attention to
them. Even with the increase in manpower Symmetry's sponsorship
has brought us, D is still a community effort. Reporting an
issue, then reminding people it's there, is one of the simplest
ways to contribute to that effort.