Scientific computing and parallel computing C++23/C++26

sfp sfp at cims.nyu.edu
Tue Jan 18 17:03:33 UTC 2022

On Monday, 17 January 2022 at 21:31:25 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 09:12:52PM +0000, bioinfornatics via
> Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
>> And recently I put my feedback where D could provide some
>> killer feature in this area:
>> https://forum.dlang.org/thread/fuzvsdlqtklhmxsnzgye@forum.dlang.org
>>
>> Unfortunately, this will not be possible in the near future,
>> so others language will keep the market
>
> Why would it not be possible in the near future?
>
> None of the items you listed seem to be specific to the
> language itself, it seems to be more of an ecosystem issue.

Take one item on the list: developing an equivalent of numpy and
scipy. What do you take to be the "near future"? One year away?
Two years?

There is no language feature holding these items back. Addressing
ecosystem issues is a massive undertaking.

In order for a D clone of even just numpy to be successful, it
needs to have a significant user base feeding input back into the
development cycle so that it can go beyond simply being churned
out by a few overeager developers and actually stabilized so that
it becomes useful and robust.

You must also consider that the items that bioinfornatics listed
are all somewhat contingent on each other. In isolation they
aren't nearly as useful. You might have a numpy/scipy clone, but
if you don't also have a matplotlib clone (or some other means of
doing data visualization from D) their utility is a bit limited.

His wishlist is a tall order.