Scientific computing and parallel computing C++23/C++26

Tejas notrealemail at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 15:25:31 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 14:24:14 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 13:32:37 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 12:49:11 UTC, Paulo Pinto
>> wrote:
>>> It also needs to plug into the libraries, IDEs and GPGPU
>>> debuggers available to the community.
>>
>> But the presentation is not only about HPC, but making
>> parallel GPU computing as easy as writing regular C++ code and
>> being able to debug that code on the CPU.
>>
>> I actually think it is sufficient to support Metal and Vulkan
>> for this to be of value. The question is how much more
>> performance Nvidia manage to get out of their their nvc++
>> compiler for regular GPUs in comparison to a Vulkan solution.
>
> Currently Vulkan Compute is not to be taken seriously.
>
> Yes, the end goal of the industry efforts is that C++ will be
> the lingua franca of GPGPUs and FPGAs, that is why SYSCL is
> collaborating with ISO C++ efforts.
>
> As for HPC, that is where the money for these kind of efforts
> comes from.

Is Rust utterly irrelevant in this space? Feels weird not seeing
it at all in this discussion, with all the talks about just how
flexible the type system is and the emphasis on functional
paradigm(things like the Typestate pattern), I thought it would
matter quite a bit in this context as well, since functional
programming languages are found to model hardware more
fluidly(naturally?) than imperative languages like C++(yes, it's
multi paradigm as well but come on)