Would you pay for GC?

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Tue Jan 25 17:13:01 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 25 January 2022 at 03:37:57 UTC, Elronnd wrote:
> Apropos recent discussion, here is a serious question: would
> you pay for either of these?
>
> - High-throughput/scalable gc.  High sustained allocation
> rates, large heaps, many cores, compacting&generational
>
> - Concurrent gc.  No pauses

No I wouldn't pay for any of those because that's not where the
problem lies.

The problem is that the maintainers refuse to realize that the
language/runtime are too limited and cannot support any of the
proposed GC types.

D has two options, either add a managed pointers in the language
or use library pointer types types (like C++, unique_ptr etc).
Problem is that the runtime and standard library also needs to be
changed in order to support switching GC types depending on wich
route they take.

After the D project adds the necessary additions to support plug
and play GC types, new GC types will emerge naturally as many
people with start to tinker with new GC types.