Reflections on using Go instead of D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 08:21:53 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 13 July 2022 at 07:56:14 UTC, jfondren wrote:
> In both languages it's possible for a tech writer to put a lot
> of well written documentation around the autogenerated stuff.

I don’t use Rust, but autogenerated tend to lead to poor
structure, too long documents (or too small). I don’t want bloat,
I want just the right info at the right time with the ability to
request more details when needed without scrolling... Good
documentation is difficult to create,  but worth it as standard
libs dont change much.

> Rust's stdlib docs are also 'generated' and they're steller,
> and all that prose is in giant comments in the files:
> https://doc.rust-lang.org/std/index.html

Ok, looks bloated on this iphone, but I haven’t used it so it
might be ok in real use.

It provides examples, which is good, but I don’t want examples
unless I request it... I want documentation that expands on the
topic on my request.

I understand that this cannot be done for regular libs, but I
think one can raise the bar for std libs.