Reflections on using Go instead of D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 08:57:31 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 13 July 2022 at 08:21:53 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> Ok, looks bloated on this iphone, but I haven’t used it so it
> might be ok in real use.

Just look at the documentation for something as simple as Vec:

https://doc.rust-lang.org/std/vec/struct.Vec.html

You can click the «[-]» to collapse it, but it is still many many
maaaany pages with no topical breakdown.  So you have to
scroll-scroll-scroll and skim-skim-skim to find something that
might fit what you need for a basic vector?

When you expand it you get a big bulk of text, most of which I
don't need and shouldn't be in a reference guide. This is why I
would say that the documentation should be written when the API
is designed.

If the resulting «ideal» documentation becomes this verbose and
hard to skim through then that could mean that the
API/abstraction is flawed or too complex.

In the case of Vec, it is more likely the documentation that is
too bloated and lacks organizing. Writing good documentation is
difficult…