New competitor to D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 04:02:46 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 19 July 2022 at 22:46:47 UTC, Ali wrote:
> This is doesn't seem like competitor to D or even Rust, this is
> a custom language for Google

They currently label it as being an experiment. I am not sure it
will take over C++ for cultural reason, but if they go through
with it then they will displace other system level languages
without a doubt.

> I don't think D should even try to compete or compare with it,
> you can't compete with a custom language and you should not

Their goal is that no organization should have more than 50%
influence.

D would be better off taking actors seriously, start giving
‘shared’ meaning and find a real alternative to the current GC.

A language like Carbon would be disruptive in this space as it
would be the first alternative for people who find C++ to be
complicated.