New competitor to D

ryuukk_ ryuukk.dev at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 18:15:22 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 20 July 2022 at 18:01:09 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 05:19:33PM +0000, ryuukk_ via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > We are waiting for highly-motivated and skilled people like
>> > you to submit DIPs and PRs to implement these features in D.
> [...]
>> Let's not suggest anything then, let's accept your faith and
>> become irrelevant
>>
>> I'll just use a different language, i'm fine with that
>> personally, what ever empowers me, i'm only just a mere
>> language user after all, who cares about the users when you
>> have compiler developers telling language users to submit PRs
>> to implement their suggestion ;)
>
> I think you have a wrong perception of what's going on here.
>
> I'm not a compiler developer, I'm also a mere language user, I
> just happened to have occasionally contributed some PRs, mainly
> to Phobos, a few to druntime and dmd (simple ones, mind you).
> I'm not personally associated with the language maintainers,
> and I do not get paid by the D Foundation for my contributions;
> I'm not an employee of the Foundation, I'm just a volunteer.
> So you're yelling at the wrong person here. :-D If anybody, you
> should be complaining rather to Walter.
>
> This is an open source project primarily run by volunteers
> (perhaps with the exception of the language developers and some
> of the people paid by the D Foundation).  This isn't some
> commercial company that pays me to do work for them; so telling
> me what I should do with my free time is rather presumptuous,
> and quite insulting.  I have no obligations to serve you or
> anyone else on this forum, because you're not my customer -- I
> don't have any customers, I don't even run this show. You'll
> gain nothing by yelling at a fellow D user.
>
> Besides, being a volunteer-run project, what matters isn't how
> loudly somebody demands for things to happen, what matters is
> who is willing to get their hands dirty and actually write the
> code to make it happen. If someone is not willing to do that,
> then the volume of their voice matters little in the grand
> scheme of things.  Time and again people have shown up on the
> forums demanding this or that, start a flamewar or two, but in
> the end, nothing came of it.  The advances that actually
> happened came from people who were willing stoop down and do
> the actual work necessary to make it happen. Quite often they
> were the ones who hardly said a thing in the forums because
> they were busy actually writing code instead of demanding
> others to do what they want.

I think you are the one having the wrong perception of what's
going on

If nobody suggest anything, if nobody tells what they need, then
how do you expect someone with the skills to step in and say "Hey
i know how to do  that, i can maybe offer a hand"

I also volunteer, and i also sent various PRs to the language
server, i don't brag about it, that is not point of my posts

Without demand, there can't be offers, maybe the way i phrase
them is poor, i'll make an effort about it

But if everyone turns down every suggestions/discussions how can
you create momentum?

Not everything needs to start with a PR or DIPs, sometimes it is
someone fed up with how he has to write code in a certain way and
wishes feature X existed so he let people know

Telling people to stfu because we don't have $$$ or they should
do it themselves doesn't sound positive, and kills
discussions/hype/momentum