New competitor to D

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Wed Jul 20 18:35:56 UTC 2022

On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 06:15:22PM +0000, ryuukk_ via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> I think you are the one having the wrong perception of what's going on
>
> If nobody suggest anything, if nobody tells what they need, then how
> do you expect someone with the skills to step in and say "Hey i know
> how to do that, i can maybe offer a hand"

That's fine.  But if nobody steps up to do it, then what?

> I also volunteer, and i also sent various PRs to the language server,
> i don't brag about it, that is not point of my posts
>
> Without demand, there can't be offers, maybe the way i phrase them is
> poor, i'll make an effort about it
>
> But if everyone turns down every suggestions/discussions how can you
> create momentum?

I didn't turn down your suggestion.  That would imply that I have some
kind of decision-making power over the language, which I don't.  The
decision-making is done by Walter and Atila, I have no say over that.

> Not everything needs to start with a PR or DIPs, sometimes it is
> someone fed up with how he has to write code in a certain way and
> wishes feature X existed so he let people know

That's fine too.  But it requires someone to pick up the tab and
actually implement it, otherwise nothing will change.

> Telling people to stfu because we don't have $$$ or they should do it
> themselves doesn't sound positive, and kills discussions/hype/momentum

I didn't tell you to STFU.  Maybe something got lost in the ether,
sometimes forum posts convey words but not the expression. All happened
was, you asked "what are we waiting for" to implement feature XYZ, and I
replied to your question of what we're waiting for: i.e., what must
happen before we will have feature XYZ. That is, somebody needs to sit
down and implement feature XYZ. Until that happens, feature XYZ won't
exist in D.  It's as simple as that.  You can feel free to continue to
make suggestions, complain about the lack of XYZ, etc., which is fine,
I'm not going to stop you. (I *can't* stop you, even if I wanted to,
anyway.)  But feature XYZ isn't going to suddenly drop down from the sky
all implemented and ready to go until somebody actually sits down and
does the work.

Question authority. Don't ask why, just do it.