New competitor to D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 10:17:00 UTC 2022

On Friday, 22 July 2022 at 09:47:57 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Friday, 22 July 2022 at 08:42:40 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> On Friday, 22 July 2022 at 08:10:49 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>>> Which tutorials?
>>
>> Performance oriented ones, such as GPU-compute with Metal.
>
> The more recent ones make use of Objective-C runtime API called
> directly from C++,

Yes, you are right, they use Objective-C in the tutorials, not
Objective-C++.

They seem to have added C++ support to their package manager
fairly recently:
https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/main/proposals/0181-package-manager-cpp-language-version.md

I don't quite see Apple adopting Carbon… but who knows?

> MSVC only matters for Windows and XBox developers, and the new
> push is most likely triggered from WinDev and XBox business
> units not being .NET fans, contrary to what is happening at
> Azure, where .NET, Go, Java and Rust rule the party.
>
> So that leaves GCC, and how much Red-Hat/IBM care to keep it up
> to date post ISO C++20.

The ISO process will not move faster than GCC/MSVC, so in that
case it means that the evolution will slow down. Which is not a
bad thing at this point. The most glaring missing piece in C++ is
standardized SIMD support, which is easy to add.

Library only extensions are not going to be a problem for GCC.