New competitor to D

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Jul 22 11:05:06 UTC 2022

On Friday, 22 July 2022 at 10:17:00 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 22 July 2022 at 09:47:57 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> On Friday, 22 July 2022 at 08:42:40 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Performance oriented ones, such as GPU-compute with Metal.
>>
>> The more recent ones make use of Objective-C runtime API
>> called directly from C++,
>
> Yes, you are right, they use Objective-C in the tutorials, not
> Objective-C++.
>
> They seem to have added C++ support to their package manager
> fairly recently:
> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/main/proposals/0181-package-manager-cpp-language-version.md
>
> I don't quite see Apple adopting Carbon… but who knows?

They already have Swift for that,

"Swift is intended as a replacement for C-based languages (C,
C++, and Objective-C)."

https://www.swift.org/about/

>> MSVC only matters for Windows and XBox developers, and the new
>> push is most likely triggered from WinDev and XBox business
>> units not being .NET fans, contrary to what is happening at
>> Azure, where .NET, Go, Java and Rust rule the party.
>>
>> So that leaves GCC, and how much Red-Hat/IBM care to keep it
>> up to date post ISO C++20.
>
> The ISO process will not move faster than GCC/MSVC, so in that
> case it means that the evolution will slow down. Which is not a
> bad thing at this point. The most glaring missing piece in C++
> is standardized SIMD support, which is easy to add.
>
> Library only extensions are not going to be a problem for GCC.

It means that if Google is sucessful with Carbon, we are at a
turning point for C++'s evolution.

You just need to see how the C, COBOL, Fortran and Ada ecosystems
care about latest ISO revisions across all existing compilers.