New competitor to D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 11:29:01 UTC 2022

On Friday, 22 July 2022 at 11:05:06 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> They already have Swift for that,
>
> "Swift is intended as a replacement for C-based languages (C,
> C++, and Objective-C)."

I followed an interview with Chris Lattner a long time ago where
he stated that he would like to see Swift evolved into a system
level programming language with low level support, but it is
still not attractive for lower level programming.

Also, Apple want games to be ported over from other platforms,
so… they don't actually want to be an island.

> It means that if Google is sucessful with Carbon, we are at a
> turning point for C++'s evolution.

Yes, that is possible, if we talk about the core language, but I
am not sure if the core language should be extended much further.
C++ can evolve quite a bit by adding library constructs on the
current foundation.

Intel also has a clang based compiler now, so the picture is a
bit more complicated.

> You just need to see how the C, COBOL, Fortran and Ada
> ecosystems care about latest ISO revisions across all existing
> compilers.

I think this is an ISO process requirement.