New competitor to D

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Jul 23 06:54:45 UTC 2022

On Friday, 22 July 2022 at 11:29:01 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Friday, 22 July 2022 at 11:05:06 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> They already have Swift for that,
>>
>> "Swift is intended as a replacement for C-based languages (C,
>> C++, and Objective-C)."
>
> I followed an interview with Chris Lattner a long time ago
> where he stated that he would like to see Swift evolved into a
> system level programming language with low level support, but
> it is still not attractive for lower level programming.
>
> Also, Apple want games to be ported over from other platforms,

Most game studios don't care about modern C++.

In what Apple is concerned, as long as Unreal and Unity compile
they're good.

Same applies to Google on Android, where NDK is stuck in C++17 as
well.

> so… they don't actually want to be an island.
>
>> It means that if Google is sucessful with Carbon, we are at a
>> turning point for C++'s evolution.
>
> Yes, that is possible, if we talk about the core language, but
> I am not sure if the core language should be extended much
> further. C++ can evolve quite a bit by adding library
> constructs on the current foundation.
>
> Intel also has a clang based compiler now, so the picture is a
> bit more complicated.

Everyone except Microsoft has as clang based compiler, they
hardly contribute to ISO C++ compliance.

That means IBM, HP, ARM, Intel, Sony, Nintendo, GreenHills,
Apple, Google, TI, Microship, Embarcadero, and probably a few
others I have forgotten about.

>> You just need to see how the C, COBOL, Fortran and Ada
>> ecosystems care about latest ISO revisions across all existing
>> compilers.
>
> I think this is an ISO process requirement.

It definitely is, the talk is now available.

https://youtu.be/omrY53kbVoA