New competitor to D

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Jul 25 05:24:54 UTC 2022

On Monday, 25 July 2022 at 02:56:53 UTC, Tejas wrote:
> On Sunday, 24 July 2022 at 19:38:53 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 19 July 2022 at 16:27:25 UTC, Tejas wrote:
>>> There is a new language that claims to be the successor to
>>> C++ in town, and it's got Google's funding 😥
>>
>> Thanks to LLVM new languages are popping up frequently now,
>> which is a good thing. Carbon was not the first and will not
>> be the last. In my opinion Carbon (why did they name it that)
>> is dead on arrival because what I've read it offers zero
>> novelties compared to for example Rust. Also the syntax isn't
>> particulary nice.
>>
>> There will be a language up ahead that will be smash hit when
>> you least expect it. Carbon is not one of them.
>

> All the disinterest/lack of belief regarding Carbon's
> (potential)success is really making me think about Go, where
> people said something about it not having used any of the
> research in type theory since the 1970s, coupled with their
> insistence on not having generics, a stupid error handling
> system all combined to make it stand no chance in the future.
>
> But it's still popular today
>
> Maybe there's a non-trivial chance Carbon will end up the same?
> As we have already seen, it's not always about the technical
> merit.

Thanks Docker, Kubernetes and the cloud native foundation
ecosystem that sprung from them.

clang is already lagging in ISO C++ support because Apple focus
on Swift, Google's loss of interest (we know now why, it is even
mentioned on the talk) and everyone else not caring enough about
upstream.

Google only needs to push Carbon on Android or something like
that.