New competitor to D

Tejas notrealemail at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 02:56:53 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 24 July 2022 at 19:38:53 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Tuesday, 19 July 2022 at 16:27:25 UTC, Tejas wrote:
>> There is a new language that claims to be the successor to C++
>> in town, and it's got Google's funding 😥
>
> Thanks to LLVM new languages are popping up frequently now,
> which is a good thing. Carbon was not the first and will not be
> the last. In my opinion Carbon (why did they name it that) is
> dead on arrival because what I've read it offers zero novelties
> compared to for example Rust. Also the syntax isn't particulary
> nice.
>
> There will be a language up ahead that will be smash hit when
> you least expect it. Carbon is not one of them.

All the disinterest/lack of belief regarding Carbon's
(potential)success is really making me think about Go, where
people said something about it not having used any of the
research in type theory since the 1970s, coupled with their
insistence on not having generics, a stupid error handling system
all combined to make it stand no chance in the future.

But it's still popular today

Maybe there's a non-trivial chance Carbon will end up the same?
As we have already seen, it's not always about the technical
merit.