New competitor to D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 20:08:22 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 24 July 2022 at 19:38:53 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> In my opinion Carbon (why did they name it that) is dead on
> arrival because what I've read it offers zero novelties
> compared to for example Rust. Also the syntax isn't particulary
> nice.

It is too early to tell. Depends on how good they are at taking
feedback and cater to seasoned C++ developers. Their first goal
is to release a minimal-viable-product which is quite a big task
since it involves all of C++17 and their own generics solution.
It was stated that another team at Google is looking at interop
between Rust and C++, and they are following efforts of adding
lifetimes to C++…

Anyway, it all hangs on the semantics and how fast they deliver.
Syntax issues are easy to fix later…