New competitor to D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 15:36:10 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 26 July 2022 at 14:35:21 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
> Because there is code still written in C, and rewriting it is
> not worth it, languages able to play nice with C gets ahead
> (C++, GO with cgo for example, they were able to kickstart a
> lot of their projects, and our beloved D too ;))

Sure, they will be able to call C, I thought you meant that the
language would retain C semantics at the bottom layer.

> That's the thing i mention, being able to consume it to then
> eat it and get rid of it, most languages are stuck at the
> consume it part, Go managed to get past it

True, it makes no sense for Carbon to stay at C++17 compatibility
when C++ hits C++29 :-)

> Kotlin is also phasing out Java/JVM by focusing on Kotlin
> Native for sharing code between Android/iOS and they are
> working on their WebAssembly compiler; completly phasing out
> JVM, notice the pattern ;)

Interesting, I didn't know this.

> Maybe emotions wasn't the proper word, skepticism maybe, i
> don't know, it's an impression i have, Go have merits and i
> feel we downplay its success a little, we should learn from it

Yes, having a coherent memory management story is important. Go
had a coherent memory management and concurrency solution from
V1.0. That makes a biiig difference. It doesn't even have to be
excellent, just something you can rely on.

Carbon does not have this yet, though… so maybe their success
depends on how many years it takes for them to get there.