New competitor to D

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Tue Jul 26 16:00:38 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 26 July 2022 at 15:36:10 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

> Yes, having a coherent memory management story is important. Go
> had a coherent memory management and concurrency solution from
> V1.0. That makes a biiig difference. It doesn't even have to be
> excellent, just something you can rely on.
>
> Carbon does not have this yet, though… so maybe their success
> depends on how many years it takes for them to get there.

They should be careful and determine roughly what kind of memory
management they want as early as possible. If they don't they
risk ending up like D which is painted into a corner with tracing
GC and there is also a risk with too much annotation like Rust.
Nim did this right as they have a good compromise between easy of
use and GC versatility.

V language is currently using a tracing GC as a back drop until
their "auto free" engine is complete, we will see how they
succeed. Nim is similar that sometimes their ORC GC fails and you
need to use Bohem. In general the strategy should be keep it
simple and stupid in the beginning at the same time you do not
prevent any advancement of new GC methods which D totally failed
at.

That they mentioned that they want to a have lifetime annotation
like Rust makes me suspicious that they will fail their goal,
which is a simpler C++. Rust is not simpler than C++ as long you
don't trench too far into meta programming and templates.