Can D be used for operating system development ?

Sergey kornburn at yandex.ru
Tue Jun 7 11:57:58 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 7 June 2022 at 11:27:18 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> 2. Many containers in D/Phobos use GC which makes them
> unsuitable for kernel development.
>
> You probably need to write all your container algorithms
> yourself. It doesn't though because they need to be special
> anyway.
>
> You are bascally using D without standard libraries. This about
> the same with C/C++.

Actually there are LOT of different realisations.. not only
containers, but Core libraries. And as a end-user I have no idea
how all of them are different from each other.

There are Mecca, Tanya, Hunt - core libraries.
Emsi, ikod and collection-d containers.

And of course there is the whole Mir world, with nogc and betterC
paradigm inside.