Suggestion re the manual

Rob T alanb at ucora.com
Thu Jun 9 18:36:38 UTC 2022

WRT "exists" being difficult to discover, it's important to keep
in mind that D is a generic programming language. The "exists"
concept won't necessarily apply to files, which make prefixing
much more desirable than embedding the "file" name directly into
the function (or template) name.

As an example outside from programming, consider how domain names
are organised,

toplevel = dlang.org
sub-level = forum.dlang.org

We could create a brand new domain, forumdlang.org but that's not
a great idea do to. Same idea as with exists.

The basic issue is that not much has progressed with programming
languages over the last century (yes I'm joking) we still use
text editors to program with (IDE's are noth more than glorified
text editors), and a side effect of that is searching on text
strings is kinda silly if you know what I mean.

Really the best way to view a programming language is as if it
were a strand of DNA, it's something to manipulate, but it has to
be done carefully otherwise you end up with a lot of warts. We
need much better tools, one day we may have them, but I'll
probably in the grave before that ever happens.