Suggestion re the manual

harakim harakim at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 00:07:19 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 8 June 2022 at 18:34:20 UTC, Paul wrote:
> I see your point Bauss. I suppose I am not yet experienced
> enough with D.
>
> Here is an example. Working with one of our programmers, he
> could not understand the following (sorry for my newbie
> simplistic example and understanding of D):

The D community so far has said you just need to learn it and the
documentation makes sense. I think that summary speaks volumes
about missing the point of documentation but that is the reality
in D. You have to learn it from books and forum and then you
pretty much don't need the documentation.

Just a few days ago, I actually posted about documentation, among
other things, but I threw 80% of that reply away because I'm
trying to be less negative on the forum. Here is the excerpt:

```
In fact, I'm on the forum right now because I was looking for a
map function in D. Here it is:
https://dlang.org/library/std/algorithm/iteration/map.map.html.

The map function is there and it works really well. But go ask 10
of your co-workers (that haven't used D) how this function works
and maybe 2 or 3 can even guess something close. I don't even
know for sure how I specify the mapping function (sometimes it's
a function, sometimes it's a string) but with a bit of trial and
error, I'll figure it out. There's not even an example of usage
in the documentation.
```

The documentation is not good is not a way to learn D, although
it is somewhat useful. If you want your team to learn and get
familiar with D enough to use the documentation, I would suggest
you get Andrei's and Adam's books. There are other good books as
well I'm sure, but I have not read them. Some sit in my Amazon
cart where I covet them from time to time. ;) You might find
comments about them being out of date, but by the time your
colleagues are done with them, they will be able to understand
the documentation.

I hate to bug people on the forum, but I know if I have a
question, I will get a response by the next day, but usually a
lot faster than that.

So if I were you, I would solve the immediate problem by getting
and distributing those book as well as inviting your colleagues
onto the forum if they have questions you can't answer.

In the medium term, you could start a knowledge base or
documentation site or maybe join one of the dozens of others that
undoubtedly exist.

The long term problem is harder to address. Until building
documentation, tools and library is sustainable, people won't do
it. I have spent a lot of effort on projects that die (including
D programs, as it happens) and I have a lot going on in my life.
It's going to take a large effort to establish clear goals and
visions with a known way to work on them or it may take forking
the language and leaving one stable for a bit before people
decide. I hope that happens before another language enters D's
odd niche.