Why is D unpopular?

mw mingwu at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 20:00:26 UTC 2022

On Friday, 29 April 2022 at 16:03:16 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:

> I would hardly call ImportC's implementation "correct" and
> "complete" at this point, given the large number of outstanding
> bugs and the fact that it does not even support the
> preprocessor yet.

For this particular preprocessor issue, I think we should cut the
scope where this ImportC's goal is: it should only take the input
from cpp's output, .i files, instead of .h files.

1) why should D reinvent the wheels, and waste efforts which all
those cpp have put in for the past several decades?

2) otherwise, there are so many C compilers (flavored) headers,
does dmd want to handle them all?

After all, this is a D compiler, not a C compiler.

> This is exactly what people mean when they call features of D
> "incomplete" or "unfinished" or "half-assed": the happy path
> works, but important features are missing and the edge cases
> are riddled with bugs.
>
> I'm sure ImportC will improve, given enough time--maybe 3-5
> years? But outside of a tiny number of core developers such as
> yourself who work on D full-time, it is unrealistic to expect
> an open-source contributor to see a project of that scale
> through to completion. That's what I really mean by "basically
> impossible". Not that it literally cannot be done, but that the
> amount of time and effort required is prohibitive for the vast
> majority of contributors.

I agree with all the rest, we should really cut the scopes of
each D features, and make them stable & mature; instead of 100
∼95% complete features, users are more happy with 10 100%
complete features. Those ∼5% incomplete corner cases will drive
users away, esp for production software.