Why is D unpopular?

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 00:25:08 UTC 2022

On Friday, 10 June 2022 at 23:36:48 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

In OOP, the primary unit of scope/encapsulation is the class.

I'm not aware of there being different views on this matter - but
happy to be enlightened.

That is the basis on which I reject the assertion that D is a
better OO language.

btw. I'm not a proponent of Java, as some have suggested ;-)

So using Java to rebutt my argument, is pointless ;-)

But I do think, programming language of the future need to
default to immutability and memory safety. One should have of
course, the option, to opt-out where that is needed and
appropriate.

The problem with D, is that it set out to be a betterC, perhaps
even a betterC++.

But when one sets out to design a better motorcycle, you don't
end up with a motorcycle at all. You end up with something
completely different.

The advantage of a motorcycle, is you can just jump on it a zoom
off...... and of course, you have the rush of being in control of
your own fate..

That's the advantage of the motorcycle. Safety issues were never
a primary consideration - otherwise you wouldn't be on that
motorcycle.

So designing a better C or C++ is a futile effort, that results
in some strange hybrid of things.. that don't see to really go
all that well together.

I don't want a seat-belt on my motorcycle.

I don't want the seat-belts taken out of my car either.