Why is D unpopular?

norm norm.rowtree at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 00:41:20 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 11 June 2022 at 14:16:54 UTC, zjh wrote:
> On Saturday, 11 June 2022 at 13:58:57 UTC, zjh wrote:
>> On Saturday, 11 June 2022 at 13:56:09 UTC, zjh wrote:
>>
>>> And the `'d'` actually choose `module|file` as `encapsulation
>>> unit`?
>>
>> `Big step backwards`! But a lot of people are still saying,
>> good!very good!
>

> With `module encapsulation`, you don't need `enemies`!
> They are `enemies`!

In a practical sense module scope encapsulation works really
well, I find it much better than strict class encapsulation that
then has to be broken anyway with friends. In fact I've not
encountered one bug using module scope encapsulation. None. I
have had many bugs in my code though using friends in C++!

It is fascinating the amount of energy in D forums spent talking
about D's shortcomings and reminds me of the internet in the late
90's early 00's where every forum chat ended in a flame war.

All this energy would be much better spent making software with D
or building up its ecosystem....but that requires work and not as
much fun as pointing out someone is wrong on the internet. The
latter requires no work at all for the same physiological
response in the brain as recognition by others for a job well
done.

I guess it is the nature of the beast, D is so flexible and very
good at so many things that people are unwilling to accept that D
by design just doesn't do everything the way they want.