Why is D unpopular?

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 00:51:03 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 12 June 2022 at 00:41:20 UTC, norm wrote:

> In a practical sense module scope encapsulation works really
> well, I find it much better than strict class encapsulation
> that then has to be broken anyway with friends. In fact I've
> not encountered one bug using module scope encapsulation. None.
> I have had many bugs in my code though using friends in C++!
>
> It is fascinating the amount of energy in D forums spent
> talking about D's shortcomings and reminds me of the internet
> in the late 90's early 00's where every forum chat ended in a
> flame war.
>
> All this energy would be much better spent making software with
> D or building up its ecosystem....but that requires work and
> not as much fun as pointing out someone is wrong on the
> internet. The latter requires no work at all for the same
> physiological response in the brain as recognition by others
> for a job well done.
>
> I guess it is the nature of the beast, D is so flexible and
> very good at so many things that people are unwilling to accept
> that D by design just doesn't do everything the way they want.

Nice distraction, yet again ;-)

This is not about 'strict' encapsulation.

How many times do I have to say this.. jeessssee........

I just want 'the option' to hide my invariants from other code in
the module, and have the compiler enforce those invariants at
compile time.

Really, it doesn't sound like such a big ask to me.

Why so many are against this, is puzzling, to say the least.