dip1000 and preview in combine to cause extra safety errors

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Tue Jun 14 01:54:03 UTC 2022

On 14/06/2022 1:45 PM, forkit wrote:
> I am surprised, if it's true, that modern hardware still can't provide
> heap based allocation at least as fast as stack based allocation. Of
> course, I have no idea - it's not my area, by a long shot - I'm just
> curious whether its really true, these days, or it's just something we
> accept to be true, cause it used to be true?

There is no such thing as hardware assisted memory allocation.

Memory allocators were data structures in 1980, and they still are today.

The only difference being sbrk has now been deprecated by POSIX standard.

https://www.amazon.com/Structure-Techniques-Addison-Wesley-computer-science/dp/0201072564

https://www.amazon.com/Garbage-Collection-Handbook-Management-Algorithms/dp/0367659247