Why is D unpopular

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 07:45:26 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 14 June 2022 at 07:09:23 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 June 2022 at 06:46:45 UTC, bauss wrote:
>> I completely agree with this. It bothers me A LOT that it's
>> the view of most people around here.
>>
>> Why stop there? Why not remove any constraints in the
>> language? After all you can just stop making mistakes. "Just
>> don't do it."
>>
>> Why do we need @safe, dip1000 etc.? Just verify the memory
>> yourself, if you accidentally screw up then that's your fault,
>> surely it isn't the language's fault.
>>
>> @nogc? Nah we don't need that, just don't allocate using the
>> GC.
>
> When you end up adding more and more stuff to a language it is
> considered better to go back to the drawing board and start
> over.
>
> Otherwise you’ll end up with a mess...

well, that cycle does seem to be the case.

e.g. the universe is a result of 'things' combining together to
make other things, and those things combining to make yet more
things, and those things combining to (at some point) make atoms,
and atoms combining to make molecules, and then molecules adding
to make .., and ..  .. ...

Sure, it'll all come crashing down at some point (well, presuming
a non-infinite universe, which i doubt is the case)

But we exist cause these things were adding themselves to each
other.

At some point, the universe will implode and it'll all start all
over again (at least that's why things seems to suggest).

The trick is, to make that point is so far into the future, that
it doesn't really matter in your everyday considerations ;-)

i.e. adding a thousand new features to D every day, might be
going too far.