What I like most AND what I don't like most - about D

Andrey Zherikov andrey.zherikov at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 14:14:56 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 12 June 2022 at 01:48:43 UTC, forkit wrote:
> (1) What I like most about D:

- CTFE
- metaprogramming

> (2) What I dislike most about D:

- poor quality of DMD:
   - no closures in CTFE
   - uses a lot of memory (>2GB to compile simple lib) - I had to
do some workarounds to avoid OutOfMemory exception
   - unexpected behavior ([latest
example](https://forum.dlang.org/thread/qgtgzwosimucsixyhodo@forum.dlang.org))
- no roadmaps, timelines, milestones in evolution of D - what to
expect in the future and when(!) - this brings a question: is
there any commitment to improve the language/compiler/std?
- I'd like to offer my help in improving but it's not obvious
what to start with since I have no experience in writing
compilers. I did few simple things but I don't see how I can help
besides that.