What I like most AND what I don't like most - about D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 08:30:00 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 12 June 2022 at 01:48:43 UTC, forkit wrote:
> (1) What I like most about D:

* That it was launched as a system language that was simpler and
easier to read than C++, yet with a syntax that is familiar to
C++ users.

* That it is/was capable of changing to meet critical user
demands (syntax sugar like interpolated strings is not critical
in this context).

* That there is a possible future of being able to create your
own "high level framework" with 100% safe code over an unsafe
runtime of your own making.

> (2) What I dislike most about D:

* That the culture prevents changing what is already in the
language to make it live up to the original vision of being a
clean alternative to C++. More features to "fix things" is, more
often than not, the wrong answer.

* That there isn't enough people with a compi.sci. background
involved to drive it forward in a way that converges on on this
vision of a "clean system level programming language". The
evolution seems to be more "divergent" than "convergent" in 2022.

* That hardcore users have too much influence over the evolution
of the language, this is not good for long term usability.

* freeze-"all"-threads-GC, UFCS and other liabilities that does
not scale well.