Adding a new design constraint to D

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 23:36:43 UTC 2022

On Monday, 20 June 2022 at 09:43:42 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:

> On 20/06/2022 9:30 PM, bauss wrote:
>> It's just a too dividend topic and I don't think either side
>> of the coin is inherently wrong, it just depends on your usage
>> of D and what your background is, I think people coming from
>> Java, C# etc. tends to favor this change, where the opposite
>> is true for people coming from C, C++ etc.
>>
>> I do however also think that enough is enough, clearly the
>> dislike has been expressed enough and at some point you just
>> gotta stop complaining.
>
> Most people don't care about it as a feature.
>
> There was very little dislike being expressed in this thread,
> mostly indifference.
>
> It would pass if for no other reason than to stop this topic
> coming up in the future.
>
> So yes, there is very much a point to do a DIP, especially when
> Mike has offered to give it preferential treatment!

no. It should only ever pass, on the basis, that it enhances
software engineering.

the language and compiler is essentially just an app, and should
serve the needs of those using it, not those designing it.

to the extent it does just that, for 'most' D users, fine.

it doesn't for me though.

Private members have ALWAYS been a vital component in my software
engineering processes, and it will remain so.

what I've always found puzzling, is that so many in the D
community are against this. I don't mean in favour of the status
quo (private to the module), but being **so against** just the
'option' - which they would always retain the right to use, or
not, according to what they think enhances (or doesn't) their
software engineering process.

There are numerous explanations I can come up with for this. Any
or all could well be true.

Also, the discussion has mostly not been about complaining, as
someone suggested, but having to respond to the D community's
complete and utter dislike of this idea - that's where all the
effort goes really.

I think D3 should maybe get rid of the class type completely, and
stop trying to pretend it supports OOP. Then there will no longer
ever be any confusion, discussion, complaining...... ever again.