Does anyone know how druntime gets built?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Tue Jun 21 19:38:32 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 07:10:03PM +0000, ryuukk_ via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 21 June 2022 at 07:20:45 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
[...]
> > Somehow, the simple concept of:
> >
> >     dmd <bunch of flags> <all the files> -odruntime.lib
> >
> > has turned into quite a rube goldberg morass.
>
> I 100% agree; requiring external tool = obfuscating the build process,
> which is an indication that something went wrong, poor UX

My personal philosophy is: the default command (e.g., make with no
additional arguments) should (1) do the default thing that most users
would want it to do (e.g., build all the default targets with the
default configuration, no questions asked); and (2) do so with as few
assumptions about the environment as possible (e.g., should just run
whatever version of dmd.exe is the default, and should not depend on
some obscure environment variables being set or the presence of some
obscure external utilities).

All the rest of the options and bells and whistles are non-default
configuration, and the user shouldn't be burdened with that unless he
specifically wants a non-default configuration.

Amateurs built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic.