Civility

claptrap clap at trap.com
Fri Jun 24 09:41:46 UTC 2022

On Friday, 24 June 2022 at 08:59:47 UTC, forkit wrote:
> On Friday, 24 June 2022 at 08:48:02 UTC, claptrap wrote:
>> On Friday, 24 June 2022 at 06:31:37 UTC, rikki cattermole
>> wrote:

>>> We certainly need to do better, part of that is curbing the
>>> negative non-productive talks on the forum.
>>
>> Just make an off topic forum and move the bitch fests to that.
>> That way there's no censorship and people who want to grumble
>> and posture can do so without dragging down the main forum.
>>
>> It's not rocket science.
>
> As I said before, as humans, our attention is always directed
> immediately to the most emotionally salient content.
>
> But most threads, the vast majority in fact, do not contain
> emotionally salient content. People should try directing their
> attention to those for a change.

Its not hard to stick to arguing facts. Just avoid things like
calling people passive aggressive when they disagree with you.

And I'm not advocating quashing criticism, just that when a
thread veers off topic or becomes unproductive move it to to the
off topic. Give people a place to vent and talk sh*te. Keep the
general forum for people who are being reasonable and sticking on
topic.