Civility

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Jun 24 19:58:32 UTC 2022

On 6/24/2022 4:59 AM, Dukc wrote:
> On Friday, 24 June 2022 at 02:48:32 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> My own C compiler did poorly until I partnered with John Haggins, a born
>> marketer. Wow, what a difference he made!
>
> Did he just help you market existing features in your C compiler, or did he
> point out what features you should add to win sales?

He knew how to work with magazines and journalists. He knew how to design
advertisements. He knew how to bundle it with other desirable products. He'd
organize press events. He knew how to frame the compiler's capabilities in a
very positive (but still accurate) light. He knew how to put the product in an
attractive box that was a pleasure to have on one's shelf.

BTW, the most effective marketing we do is write books and articles and make
videos about D. Also attending conferences and make presentations about D. For
example, I just returned from a 2 city tour in Poland making presentations about
D, and I did another remote one for a Romanian coding conference.