Civility

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 22:02:44 UTC 2022

On Friday, 24 June 2022 at 19:58:32 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/24/2022 4:59 AM, Dukc wrote:
>> Did he just help you market existing features in your C
>> compiler, or did he point out what features you should add to
>> win sales?
>
> He knew how to work with magazines and journalists. He knew how
> to design advertisements. He knew how to bundle it with other
> desirable products. He'd organize press events. He knew how to
> frame the compiler's capabilities in a very positive (but still
> accurate) light. He knew how to put the product in an
> attractive box that was a pleasure to have on one's shelf.

Yes, I tend to believe that this kind of stuff is as important to
become popular as getting the engineering right. It's also
something that I'm definitely not known at being good at. That's
why it's good that you reviewed my D blog post before it went
public.

Anyone who wants D to become popular should think about this when
posting at these forums, or HN, or Reddit, etc. Not at the
expense of being clear about issues. But it's just stupid to
spend evenings contributing issue reports and code, and then miss
easy opportunities to attract more users when talking about the
language.