Exploring the philosophy of objects

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 18:05:31 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 25 June 2022 at 09:29:09 UTC, forkit wrote:
> I think if we put these claims to the test, they would be found
> wanting.
>
> I'd also love to see, what a non-OOP program would look like,
> if one were completing this assignment, with the use of objects.

Probably the most common "non-OOP" way of organizing data is to
use tables.

You see tables most commonly in relational databases, but also in
data science (where they go by the name "data frame" [1]) and in
low-level code using so-called "data-oriented design" (where they
go by the name "structure of arrays" [2]).

Whether tables or objects are a better way of organizing data is
a decades-old debate that I have no intention of wading into
here. Regardless of which you prefer, you must admit that both
tables and objects have a long history of successful use in
real-world software.

[1] https://www.oilshell.org/blog/2018/11/30.html
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AoS_and_SoA