Exploring the philosophy of objects

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 18:23:20 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 25 June 2022 at 18:05:31 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> Whether tables or objects are a better way of organizing data
> is a decades-old debate that I have no intention of wading into
> here.

What debate? You can easily represent objects in a relational
database. One table for the superclass, another one for the
subclass extension. The main discussion has really been about
whether you want relational or hierarchical structure. The latter
is better for performance. It is fairly easy to distribute
objects or hierarchical, but relational is harder, yet very
flexible. Keep in mind that XML databases often are implemented
as relational tables, and you can represent objects as XML with
ease…

The real clash is really with lower level languages adding OOP,
as OOP is very much a high level concept. Java and C# don't
really improve a whole lot on the runtime organization over
Simula. Which is sad. Still primitive in other words.