Exploring the philosophy of objects

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 20:06:45 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 25 June 2022 at 00:24:08 UTC, forkit wrote:
> (2) Philospohy and Programming/Programming Languages, are
> deeply 'entangled' whether you have the capacity to see to that
> level of detail, or not ;-)
>
> (3) the statement item (2) above is demonstrated throughout
> academic literature on computing. It's not something I just
> made up ;-)

There is a lot truth to that. The reason being, of course, that
the users of the software are more important than the
programmers… so you need to extract what users' needs are,
communicate about it and turn it into something that is
implementable (by whatever means). And you invariably end up with
focusing on objects, processes and communication.

When I went to uni we were trained to do relational modelling
with NIAM, also known as… [Object-Role
Modelling](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-role_modeling)!
Yes, you read that right, we deal with *objects* when modelling
tables.

To quote that wiki page: «An object-role model can be
automatically mapped to relational and deductive databases (such
as datalog).»

It can of course also be translated into an OOA model. One key
difference is that OOA "clusters attributes", but Object-Role
modelling is "free" of attributes and focus on relations.