Suggestion re the manual

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Sun Jun 26 17:03:50 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 7 June 2022 at 21:28:30 UTC, Paul wrote:
> One thing I miss from my PHP days (I know - script languages -
> Ugh), is having public comments below each manual page.
>
> Having the public post examples, gotchas, and other helpful
> information made a world of difference in learning the PHP
> language, all the while having the "source of truth" directly
> above.
>
> Just suggesting that it might help increase adoption rates (PHP
> is very popular). Managing comments does take time, but then so
> does managing this forum.
>
> Anyway, no ideas are bad ideas, so I felt I should post. I hope
> it is helpful.

Andrei’s alternative one-page-per-function documentation had a
user comment section on every page at one stage. IIRC that
feature wasn’t used much and when it was the comment wasn’t very
useful.

But we have a method for anybody to improve any page of the
documentation with examples, See_Also links and (if you ask me)
even smart suggestions [like this
one](https://forum.dlang.org/post/agtmbgfigomzqqvpxwty@forum.dlang.org): it is the “improve this page” link at the top of every page.

This is what I would suggest if the documentation doesn’t give an
answer right away: ask on the learn forum, then come back to the
documentation and see if that additional knowledge can be
incorporated in the text. I think this is a good way to make
things better.

— Bastiaan.