Exploring the philosophy of objects

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 05:00:30 UTC 2022

On Monday, 27 June 2022 at 22:48:35 UTC, forkit wrote:
> No. He specifically is against promoting any 'particular'
> methodology.

Yes, you choose methodology based on the scenario.

A method uses many different techniques. The point of a method is
to increase the successrate when faced with a similar
situation, not to be generally useful.

> He is saying that CS courses just don't teach this mindset,
> which I found to be surprising. That's what he's trying to
> change.

Well, they do say it. You cannot teach beginners everything at
once. Most students are beginners. So you need many different
angles, spread over many courses.  Given the amount of theory the
time for practicing skills is very limited.

You can teach students techniques, but you cannot teach them
intuition, which takes decades.

> I like this comment from his book:
>
> "Most modules have more users than developers, so it is better
> for the developers to suffer than the users.".

Yes, the common phrase is that code is read more frequently than
written.

Students however, feel they are done when the code runs. Only a
small percentage are mature enough as programmers to refine their
skills. And that top 10% doesn’t need the teacher... only the
book and the assignment. Or rather, there are not enough
resources.

It takes time to mature ( measure in decades ) and in that time
people will develop patterns. Only 5% of students are at a high
level in programming IMHO.

Anyway, in the real world projects are delayed and code is
written under time pressure. To get a module «perfect» you need
to do it more than once. Very few projects can afford that kind
of perfection, nor do they want programmers to rewrite modules
over and over. Perfection is not a goal for applications. Only
libraries and frameworks can try to achieve perfection.