Discussion Thread: DIP 1043--Shortened Method Syntax--Final Review

welkam wwwelkam at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 10:37:08 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 15 June 2022 at 09:21:12 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> This is the discussion thread for the Final Review of DIP 1043,
> "Shortened Method Syntax":
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/2c2f6c33f5761236266a96bd268c62a06323a5e8/DIPs/DIP1043.md
>
> The review period will end at 11:59 PM ET on June 29, or when I
> make a post declaring it complete. Discussion in this thread
> may continue beyond that point.
>
> Here in the discussion thread, you are free to discuss anything
> and everything related to the DIP. Express your support or
> opposition, debate alternatives, argue the merits, etc.
>
> However, if you have any specific feedback on how to improve
> the proposal itself, then please post it in the feedback
> thread. The feedback thread will be the source for the review
> summary I write at the end of this review round. I will post a
> link to that thread immediately following this post. Just be
> sure to read and understand the Reviewer Guidelines before
> posting there:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/docs/guidelines-reviewers.md
>
> And my blog post on the difference between the Discussion and
> Feedback threads:
>
> https://dlang.org/blog/2020/01/26/dip-reviews-discussion-vs-feedback/
>
> Please stay on topic here. I will delete posts that are
> completely off-topic.

Burn this dip with fire. There were a lot of talks about
readability here but from what I can tell people mean two
different things when they use the word readability. One is easy
on the eyes, pleasant to look at. The other meaning would be its
easy to understand what the code is just by glancing at it.

Proposed changes would succeed in making code less noisy and
easier on the eyes but it will also harm scanability of the code.
Programmers rely on visual patters to understand the code. That's
why consistent code look is so important. That's why coding
standards are enforced. But its not important only within a
project but also across ecosystem.

D doesn't have AST macros not because they are not useful but
because each project would look like it was written in a
different language. Not in extreme case but I hope you got the
point.

Go language is the way it is for valid reasons. Don't dismiss
them easily.