Civility

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 15:59:43 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 28 June 2022 at 15:45:09 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 28 June 2022 at 15:22:51 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
>> The primary effect of breaking up forums is to reduce the
>> amount of traffic each individual forum gets. Given that the D
>> forums are not currently suffering from excessive traffic, I
>> do not think it makes sense to break any of them up.
>
> That was not the primary purpose I gave. I gave this rationale:
>
> - make it easier to find information from the past for new users
> - to consolidate around key frameworks that has the potential
> to become «complete»

It does not matter what your *intended* purpose was. The *effect*
will be to reduce traffic (and consequently user
engagement/participation). I have been a user of web forums since
the early 2000s, and I have seen forum administrators make this
exact mistake more times than I can count.

If you want an organized store of past information, you should
focus on reviving [the official D wiki][1].

[1]: https://wiki.dlang.org/