Dlang on $4 microcontroller board from Raspberry Pi RP2040

max haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 02:15:14 UTC 2022

On Monday, 7 March 2022 at 01:14:50 UTC, dangbinghoo wrote:
> On Saturday, 5 March 2022 at 17:54:02 UTC, Igor Myronov wrote:
>>>
>>> Arhggg...32bit controllers! In 2022!
>>>
>>> There goes any hope of ridding D of its 32bit baggage.
>>
>> From what i got already learned in these days it looks like
>> Dlang is pretty useless on any kind of MCU.
>> There's no solid stuff happening for Dlang on MCU's,so i
>> suppose that this kind of theme should be postponed for a few
>> years yet before getting Dlang for real embedded system
>> development.
>>
>> Unfortunately :(
>
> yeah, embedded is not focused in D community, Rust and Nim is
> doing this, they all have
>  `embedded` channel in their Discord.

People have been using D on embedded targets for longer than Rust
and Nim have existed.

What you're looking for is basically the peacock's tail rather
than the stuff that actually carries the DNA.

Ask a specific question and someone will help you, quite possibly
me, but just moaning about how there isn't an embedded channel
discord (If you're in the D discord server you'll notice that
there are several people who run D on embedded targets fairly
regularly). If you want help from scratch then that is OK but
there is literally nothing special about targeting controllers,
beyond having to probably set up your own toolchain.

In fact I have just asked the discord admins to add an embedded
channel in the server.