Dlang on $4 microcontroller board from Raspberry Pi RP2040

dangbinghoo dangbinghoo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 03:29:00 UTC 2022

On Monday, 7 March 2022 at 02:15:14 UTC, max haughton wrote:
> On Monday, 7 March 2022 at 01:14:50 UTC, dangbinghoo wrote:

>>> From what i got already learned in these days it looks like
>>> Dlang is pretty useless on any kind of MCU.
>>> There's no solid stuff happening for Dlang on MCU's,so i
>>> suppose that this kind of theme should be postponed for a few
>>> years yet before getting Dlang for real embedded system
>>> development.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately :(
>>
>> yeah, embedded is not focused in D community, Rust and Nim is
>> doing this, they all have
>>  `embedded` channel in their Discord.
>
> People have been using D on embedded targets for longer than
> Rust and Nim have existed.

Yeah, you're right.

> What you're looking for is basically the peacock's tail rather
> than the stuff that actually carries the DNA.
>
> Ask a specific question and someone will help you, quite
> possibly me, but just moaning about how there isn't an embedded
> channel discord (If you're in the D discord server you'll
> notice that there are several people who run D on embedded
> targets fairly regularly). If you want help from scratch then
> that is OK but there is literally nothing special about
> targeting controllers, beyond having to probably set up your
> own toolchain.
>
> In fact I have just asked the discord admins to add an embedded
> channel in the server.

OK, that's basically right. But, What I mean `not focused` is
that:

Rust and Nim is doing more stuff (or ecosystem) than D do.

Rust: embedded is mentioned on their Home-Page as a language
goal. And they've done
svd2* tool to do bindings and library generation for Rust
programming on MCU targets.

Nim: it's easier to Do configuration for toolchain in nim.cfg
than What D do. And nim's stdlib even has support for `freertos`
and `zephyr` for OS target.

yes, embedded is a common concept, for Big CPU or Soc like ARM
Cortex-A or MIPS and etc With Linux-OS, D is ready for almost
everything.

But for MCU target, D has only betterC mode, and I know there's
lwdr, but the ecosystem is
actually a another story compared to Rust&Nim.

thanks!