The problem that took him 5 years to fix in C++, I solved in a minute with D

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Thu Mar 10 15:02:43 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 10 March 2022 at 06:44:47 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> The way I see it, C# 10 and C++ 20 have mostly catched up in
> where D was 10 years ago, Rust and Go have found out a way to
> push them into devs regardless of what they think about them,
> thanks all those Cloud Native Foundation projects, Khronos is
> slowly adopting Rust alongside C++ on some of their ongoing
> standard discussions.

Funny how a positive thread about D could become so negative
quickly.

C# does not have any meta programming as for this date, only
generics so that language doesn't apply (still C# is a good
language in my opinion). C++20 might have better modelling power
than D right now but I would say in practice D is still more
powerful because the meta programming syntax is more accessible
for the average programmer. Meta programming in C++ is still a
kind of academic hair-splitting which also requires the
programmer to spend a lot of time to learn and understand it.
Obviously even experts have problems with it which this thread is
about.

I think that one goal for D should be, can you write a function
then you can do meta programming. If you think that D meta
programming has flaws and can be improved, then it should be
discussed in a new thread for each suggested improvement.