The problem that took him 5 years to fix in C++, I solved in a minute with D

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Thu Mar 10 15:49:36 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 10 March 2022 at 15:02:43 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Thursday, 10 March 2022 at 06:44:47 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>>
>> The way I see it, C# 10 and C++ 20 have mostly catched up in
>> where D was 10 years ago, Rust and Go have found out a way to
>> push them into devs regardless of what they think about them,
>> thanks all those Cloud Native Foundation projects, Khronos is
>> slowly adopting Rust alongside C++ on some of their ongoing
>> standard discussions.
>
> Funny how a positive thread about D could become so negative
> quickly.
>
> C# does not have any meta programming as for this date, only
> generics so that language doesn't apply (still C# is a good
> language in my opinion). C++20 might have better modelling
> power than D right now but I would say in practice D is still
> more powerful because the meta programming syntax is more
> accessible for the average programmer. Meta programming in C++
> is still a kind of academic hair-splitting which also requires
> the programmer to spend a lot of time to learn and understand
> it. Obviously even experts have problems with it which this
> thread is about.
>
> I think that one goal for D should be, can you write a function
> then you can do meta programming. If you think that D meta
> programming has flaws and can be improved, then it should be
> discussed in a new thread for each suggested improvement.

C# metaprogramming is called T4 templates, Roslyn plug-ins,
compiler attributes, reflection and code generators.

Are they clunkier than D?

Surely, however C# comes with Unity (what happened to Remedy?),
Orleans, CUDA (including GPGPU debugging), IoT (Meadows), Cloud
SDKs for GCP/AWS/Azure, Blazor, Uno, MAUI,....

D, well it has MIR and vibe.d, that is about it.