The problem that took him 5 years to fix in C++, I solved in a minute with D

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 18:47:51 UTC 2022

On 3/10/22 06:35, matheus wrote:

 > This video is from Jason and he is well known on the C++ community and
 > even gave some presentations on CppCon, so it was amusing seeing him
 > struggling with the language for something that I could do easily in D
 > (Again I'm not a D hardcore at all).

I appreciate this thread.

I am sorry C++ has so many bright people like Jason Turner in its grasp.
Jason Turner has been evangelizing "constexpr everything", not realizing
that would make the keyword effectively a whitespace word, which would
mean the need for the constexpr keyword is dubious. (Hint: D does not
have such a keyword.) Despite appearances, C++ is a net loss to
humanity. All those bright people could be spending their time actually
solving engineering problems instead of finding brilliant workarounds to
C++'s deficiencies.

To respond to another point in this thread, I am not embarrassed to
admit that I am emotional. I actually like to be emotional. Thank you
very much! :)

Besides, occasional C++ people who read these threads should be told the
truth.

 > I like D's GC, I never had much problem with it (Knocking on the wood)

I regret even attempting to defend D's GC to enlightened (!) C++ people.
I used to be one myself. Now I simply solve problems with D and have fun
doing it. The GC just works. How about redirecting some of the energy
people put into C++ to learning different memory management strategies...

 > I usually watch videos from CppCon from time to time to see what's new,
 > and to be honest most of the new features presented there for me seems
 > to be clumsy or overwhelmingly painful to work with and not so simple
 > compared with D.

Again, I am sorry that so many bright people think they are stuck with
C++ and have to keep learning convoluted workarounds, some of which are
ISO standard additions to the language.

 > PS: I'm a ESL

Me too.

 > sorry for any English mistake.

You are doing everyone a favor by writing in English. Thank you! :)

Ali