Just an example, why D rocks, and C++ s***s...

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Mar 20 13:50:54 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 20 March 2022 at 11:11:03 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Sunday, 20 March 2022 at 07:55:51 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>
>> The other thread bachmeier referenced was particularly
>> misleading for people who lack insight into how C++ is being
>> used and how it evolves. When people complain about having the
>> foundational underlying differences explained to them... you
>> have to wonder if they themselves are insecure about their own
>> choice, why would one otherwise care so much about C++? And
>> why would one complain about having practical productivity
>> concerns being expanded on?
>
> Nonsense. Someone created a thread titled "The problem that
> took him 5 years to fix in C++, I solved in a minute with D".
> Paulo Pinto, who may or may not have written a line of D code
> used in production at some point in the last 20 years,
> responded with this:
>
>> Well, a language alone doesn't make ecosystems, D is a good
>> language, but after 10 years doesn't hold a candle to CUDA,
>> Metal, Unreal, SYSCL, AUTOSAR/MISRA certifications,
>> iOS/Android/Windows SDK, High Energy Physics research,
>> PyTorch/Tensorflow, LLVM/GCC, ....
>
> Not only did he not respond to the post, he completely ignored
> it to talk about something unrelated. Then he later posted this:
>
>> D, well it has MIR and vibe.d, that is about it.
>
> That's obviously wrong, but ultimately he succeeded at his goal
> of changing the discussion. And he did it without even
> pretending to engage with the original post.

I have indeed written a couple of lines in D, in case you are
interested I have ported a compiler from Java to D, a low level
memory allocator from C++ to D, and a few OpenGL demos.

Have I ever delivered any D into production?

It would be great, but that isn't what puts bread on the table,
rather Java, C#, C++ is what customers ask for, and increasingly
they are starting to occasionally also ask for Go and Rust
knowledge as differentiation factor.

My critics of D, that you take so personally, are usually meant
as a reality check for a language that I follow since Andrei has
published his book.

All these years people keep comparing D to other languages, while
in meantime the other languages got most of the features that
made D innovative a decade ago, with an ecosystem that D will
never have, yet keeps being ignored when bashing other languages
for lack of D features.

Be assured I won't be stealing forum threads any more (to use
your own words), it is clear it is a waste of my time and the
audience here.